A review of definitions in Wikipedia shows how definitions of Learning analytics is developing.
Early definitions focused on Learning Analytics having a clear learner perspective, over time this seems to have developed into a perspective which places the educator at the core of Learning Analytics.
2010 Siemens: LA is the use of intelligent data, learner data and analysis models.
- provide learners relevant content resources and social connections
- predict learner success
- perform necessary interventions
2011 Kozleski: LA is the use of intelligent data, learner data and analysis models
- discover information and social connections for predicting and advising people’s learning
2012 Culatta: LA is the measurement, collection, analysis and reporting of data about learners and their contexts
- Understanding and optimising learning and the environments in which it occurs
2012 – 2014 Definition remained same
July 2016: LA is the use of intelligent data, learner- produced data and analysis models
- to discover information and social connections for predicting and advising people’s learning